Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Alas for Bangalore!!!

As a Madras-Born, Chennai-bred, temporary Bangalorean, I have to confess this is not my favourite city. I haven't ever felt comfortable without my movies, my marina, my mozhi (language)! But, one thing I have always been grateful to Bangalore and its people is, that I've felt safe in this city, as I have never felt in my own. As a single woman living alone, I have taken comfort from the fact that B'lore leaves me be; lets me fulfill my days activities alone, without having to hide from predatory Indian men.
I have dined alone (upaharas to upmarket fine dining); shopped (only) alone; watched movies alone; hung out in malls alone; sat at ulsoor lake for long hours gazing at the water....you guessed it...alone! All of this...in a very satisfying solitude...no intrusions...no rubbing up...no groping...no staring. How sweet is that! I adored this city that never turned an eye whatever you wore...didnt think it odd for a single woman in her twenties (yes! yes! I'm still there!) to go for a movie and return home at 1 in the night.
All of this...till recently. First , I couldn't go to a pub without worrying who would walk in and assault (irrespective of my male friends - they cant beat up ppl). Then, I couldn't decide on what festivals I wanted to celebrate - Valentines day, which was abhorrent till now, now became a choice I didnt have! Then, I couldn't speak to men of a different religion! Now, it turns out I can't wear "Western" clothes anymore - so even what I wear is not my choice anymore.
Women are being assaulted (yes...means hit!) in broad daylight, in the middle of the city, even inside a car...for wearing "Western" clothes!! Not even "revealing" clothes - thats an old one - but trousers and a "kurta". Women have been told "you can't walk alone"!! The people of this city have stood around watching this violence. The government in this state can no longer guarantee the safety of
half its earning, educated, tax-paying population.
Don't drink, don't show any skin, wear only saris/Indian clothes, don't go out alone, don't talk to men, don't step out of the house without male protection!!! Do I hear the word Taliban somewhere???? Actually not, I don't think Taliban - they don't want their women to work or earn their keep (they make them do housework ofcourse!). We are INDIAN see...so these women need to work, they need to manage the house...they need to be up for sex on demand (from man), they need to work easy times but earn more...but they need to be dumb, mute, submissive, all-accepting, BODIES. Equal rights????????? Indian constitution??? Whats that???

No comments:

 
onLoad="javascript pageTracker._setVar('test_value');"