Thursday, March 06, 2008

Days...books...women!

March 8th is Women's Day! Being a Saturday, the world at large has decided to celebrate and mark the occasion a day earlier :-). My office has caught the mood too and we are having a celebration! Games, fun and frolic for the women it seems! I have a bunch of flowers on my desk and a poster wishing me. A few of my male colleagues wandered up to wish me and there was much mirth and giggling when some of the flowers and posters were transplanted to other "male" colleagues' desks (presumably to embarrass them).
Makes me wonder - what do I think of this day? Should I gush about being remembered along with books, lovers, fathers, mothers, pets, wearing odd socks, dances, talking like a pirate and sundry things? Or should I wrinkle my nose at it and say "...I hate there being just one day for women!..."? Truth to tell, I don't know. It does seem strange that half the world's population has been singled out for an international day! Like...nobody knew these women were around till the UN decided to call it a day (sorry...couldn't help it!)? Add to it, how is it marked? People send flowers, there are movies on tv, RJs call guys and ask them what they are gifting their wives/girlfriends for Women's Day! Its all considerably silly and incredibly shallow!
I included the "books" in the title 'cos of an article in the guardian about World Books Day - but it turns out that WBD is March 6th only for the world according to the British and the Irish. For the rest of us outside of the Empire, it is April 23rd. Being very lazy, I shall on the 23rd post one titled "Refer 8th March"! So long...

No comments:

 
onLoad="javascript pageTracker._setVar('test_value');"